If you are a professional astronomer, geophysicist, or similar; a student studying these disciplines; or simply someone with a serious interest in them, we urge you to apply for membership, also known as Fellowship, of the Royal Astronomical Society and enjoy the following benefits.
- Free online access to the Society's research journals: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (main journal and Letters), Geophysical Journal International and Astronomy & Geophysics. Please contact the Membership Officer for more information.
- Free subscription to our bimonthly magazine Astronomy & Geophysics.
- Free yearly diary, packed with useful astronomical information
- Print subscriptions to the Society's journals, for personal use only, at heavily discounted rates.
- Use of one of the finest astronomical libraries and archives.
- Access to grants
- 25% discount on a range of books published by Oxford University Press
- Free use of the RAS joblist
- Use (within office hours) of the Fellows Room at Burlington House
- Discounted fees for members of societies affiliated with the RAS
- Free attendance at all RAS scientific meetings in Burlington House
- Discounted registration fees at the annual RAS National Astronomy Meeting
- Book loans from the RAS Library
- The opportunity to nominate Medal and Award-winners
- Free room hire (Council Room and Lecture Theatre at Burlington) provided that the event is related to the aims of the society.
Representing astronomy and geophysics
The RAS is a key voice in the fight to maintain access to world-class facilities and funding to support research in astronomy and geophysics. As the UK's national learned society for astronomy and geophysics, the RAS needs the support of the entire community to maintain its leadership role in lobbying government and funding agencies at all levels. We also represent the views of our members to international bodies, such as the EU and European Space Agency. Your support and input are needed! Becoming a Fellow of the RAS is an excellent way to ensure that your opinions are heard by policy makers.
How to join